Literature studies is the most radical of the "law and" courses because it brings the artists into the law school, always a dangerous, if exciting, activity.
-C.R.B. Dunlop
Why such a stringent division between law and art that bringing the two together is "radical" and "dangerous"? When I was deciding whether to start law school, I talked to a career counselor who told me that female lawyers who are satisfied in their career choices tend to have a high interest in the arts (on the Strong Interest Inventory test). When I took the test, my interests were only in the arts (not necessarily healthy, but probably only indicative of my anxiety over taking the test to begin with) -- and yet, I'm fascinated by the study of law. I'm not sure yet how to articulate the the overlaps between legal discourse and methodology and the discourses and methodologies of art (specifically writing), but I'm sure that law and art, like science and art, have more in common than is generally recognized.
12 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment