February 07, 2007

I should get danger pay for my part-time web editing job. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks writing descriptions of all the academic programs on offer at UBC for prospective students. And now I want to take them all. Everything you can learn about is so interesting. I love linguistics, I wish I had a degree in it. And how come I never took any psychology courses in my undergrad? Not to mention sociology, and economics. Freshwater science, biochemistry… why the hell not? I’m sure I could study science if I tried. Also there are a lot of languages I’d like to learn.

While a normal person would just read a bunch of books on all these subjects, or do some web research, my sickness compels me to want to take courses and enter degree programs. It’s kind of sad. And it’s not as though I’m even a very good student. I have terrible study skills, I procrastinate, I have major problems with authority figures, I get defensive and paranoid when anyone expects me to participate in class, I can’t handle any kind of competition, and I have no respect for the institution. I don’t really understand why some people work so hard to get a good grade. I either want to learn the material or I don’t; I respect the prof’s opinion or I don’t. It took me this long to realize that grade point average affects career opportunities. I swear when I was doing my undergrad, that never occurred to me.

No comments: