My vanity googling has revealed this odd review of Shift & Switch on its Amazon page (scroll down to the Product Description section). I'm not sure I get the threadworm/lobster analogy, although I generally agree that poetry focussed too much on theory will end up flat and lifeless. Overall, I think the review is too dismissive of the book, which is an invigorating collection of current writing by younger poets in Canada. But I'm happy for the compliment (partial compliment? I'm not really sure) of recognizing Gertrude Stein and her sentences in my writing:
But shouldn’t a poet be able to write strong sentences before he begins his attack on the conventionality of the sentence, or know something about scansion and phrasing before he scoffs at prosody? Gertrude Stein was able to write the sense-transcending sentences she did because she could also write them charged with meaning. A few of the contributors do inspire confidence. Natalie Simpson, in “Vallarta”, pulls off a fine threadwormish homage to Stein:
If a sentence streams a sea of thought, then can it end.
At the breakers or their force the beach in a straight
line. If a sentence has streaming, is streamlined, if a
sentence is lined it lies. Thinks of a grid and this is a
grid. Rid of a buzzing or old structures carapace.
No comments:
Post a Comment