February 22, 2008

I had a great time reading in Edmonton on Tuesday: the smallish but very receptive audience perfectly fitted the cozy space of the Cafe Select (upstairs), which is just oozing with ambience, all black walls and art and high ceilings. Everyone laughed when I read from Dirty Work (always a plus -- it's so awkward when you try to deliver funny lines in a funny way but the audience isn't expecting to be amused and just seems befuddled) and it was nice to read from accrete or crumble knowing that no-one there has heard me read from it ad nauseam. My fellow readers were lovely, particularly K.L. McKay, she has a great rhythm and command of lyricism in her poetry. I sold a few books, handed out a bunch of chapbooks, and picked up a copy of Spire. Also got to hang out with my sister, and her boyfriend gave us a quick tour of Edmonton sights (ie. the bridges, the river, the U of A), I always forget how pretty parts of Edmonton are -- overall, it was well worth the six hours of Greyhound hell getting there and back.

No comments: