I'm so upset that McNally Robinson is closing its Calgary location. Sure, it's a blow to the literary scene, since it's one less free, convenient, and most importantly, licensed location for readings. But even worse, it'll cause a major reduction to my quality of life. I live downtown, in a city of a million people. I should have easy access to all kinds of culture. But sadly, no, there are no other bookstores in downtown Calgary. Not even a Chapters. Oh yeah, I guess there's a Coles, but it's one of those sad, off-putting mall bookstores. And anyway I don't like to spend my money at the Indigo-Chapters-Coles empire.
Walking to McNally's, browsing their poetry section, their magazines, their prairie writers section, their sale section, maybe having lunch or a coffee, hitting a couple of clothes stores on the way home - this is one of the most satisfying ways I can think of to spend my time. I guess I could walk across the river to Pages on Kensington. I was there this afternoon, and I noticed they have a pretty impressive poetry section lately (they stock my book). But it's a much smaller store, and they don't sell remaindered books at superlow prices like McNally's and big box bookstores. I can't buy books (other than poetry books) for retail! That's absurd. Just last week, at McNally's, I bought a J.M. Coetzee novel and a University of Oxford Press book on Athenian democracy, each for under five dollars. How could I possibly make such random purchases at retail prices?
I was at Higher Ground earlier this afternoon, writing, and I noticed some lanky slacker type guy reading the same book on Athenian democracy I've been reading, which he clearly also bought at McNally's. In a city without an independent outlet-style bookstore, where are the kind of people who sit around coffeeshops all afternoon reading for fun and self-improvement supposed to acquire their reading materials? Damn you, McNally Robinson, the forces for good in this city are so few, how can you abandon us?
12 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment