I've been working on a couple of different "poetic statements" for the past few weeks, a form I'm not very familiar with. I seem to be going through some kind of academic backlash phase where I don't want to write about theory at all. I'm trying to make really honest statements about what I think about poetry without reference to academic jargon, and I'm finding it fairly difficult. Sometimes I think I've written interesting and complex observations, other times I think I'm just stating the obvious. The worst is when my attempts to state things honestly devolve into confessional, emotive psychobabbling. It's really disturbing how closely my concept of my poetics is linked to my concept of self. I'm not sure if that's a strength, in terms of writing, or if it's simply an inability to transcend the familiarity of the lyric. I think it's useful to put some effort into examining all this, why I write, what I expect from writing, etc. But there is an element of avoidance in it: I haven't actually written any poetry in quite some time. Oh well, stringing words together in some fashion is never really a waste of time, right?
12 hours ago
1 comment:
Hmm. I struggle with this too. I feel that if I examine my own thoughts, I can free myself of their egotistical confines. Of course this is not always easy. Sometimes I waste so much time examining the way I'm feeling or thinking. But then if I write something that is too removed from what I'm passionate about, I know there is not much possibility in that project. Poetics for me has to be this middle ground between passion, critical thinking, and questions of the body, seeing, &c. that, yes, could degenerate into psychoanalytic psychobabble or be confined by it.
Post a Comment